Yes, you can freeze pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting, but it’s important to do it correctly to prevent freezer burn and ensure the best quality when you thaw them.
- 1 What are pumpkin bars?
- 2 What is in pumpkin bars?
- 3 How to make pumpkin bars with cream?
- 4 How to freeze pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting?
- 5 How to store freeze pumpkin bars?
- 6 How long does homemade pumpkin bars last in the freezer?
- 7 How to thaw frozen pumpkin bars?
- 8 Difference between fresh and frozen pumpkin bars
- 9 Benefits
What are pumpkin bars?
Pumpkin bars are a moist and delicious dessert that is perfect for the fall season. They are made with pumpkin puree, eggs, sugar, flour, and spices, and are often topped with a creamy cream cheese frosting. Pumpkin bars are similar to pumpkin cake, but they are denser and have a more rustic texture.
Pumpkin bars are typically baked in a square or rectangular pan, and are cut into individual bars to serve. They can be enjoyed plain, or with toppings such as whipped cream, ice cream, or caramel sauce.
Pumpkin bars can be made with either canned or homemade pumpkin puree. If you are using canned pumpkin puree, be sure to choose pure pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling. Pumpkin pie filling contains sugar and spices, which can make your pumpkin bars too sweet.
Pumpkin bars are a versatile dessert that can be enjoyed for any occasion. They are perfect for potlucks, bake sales, or simply as a sweet treat to enjoy at home.
What is in pumpkin bars?
Pumpkin bars are typically made with the following ingredients:
- Pumpkin puree
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Spices (such as cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves)
Optional ingredients may include:
- Vanilla extract
- Maple syrup
- Chocolate chips
- Dried fruit
Pumpkin bars are often topped with a cream cheese frosting, but they can also be enjoyed plain or with other toppings such as whipped cream, ice cream, or caramel sauce.
How to make pumpkin bars with cream?
To make pumpkin bars with cream, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the frosting:
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, oil, and pumpkin puree until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the bars to cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and butter until smooth.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and enough milk to achieve a spreading consistency.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled bars and enjoy!
- For a richer flavor, use brown sugar instead of white sugar.
- Add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or dried fruit to the batter for a fun twist.
- Serve the bars with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for a special treat.
How to freeze pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting?
To freeze pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting, follow these steps:
- Freeze pumpkin bars unfrosted. This will prevent the frosting from becoming watery or grainy when it thaws. Wrap the bars tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Freeze the frosting separately. Cream cheese frosting can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
To thaw the bars, simply remove them from the freezer and let them thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Once thawed, you can frost the bars and enjoy.
Here are some additional tips to freeze pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting:
- Slice the bars before freezing. This will make it easier to thaw and serve individual bars.
- Label the bars with the freezing date. This will help you keep track of how long they have been frozen.
- Freeze the bars in a single layer. This will help them freeze evenly and prevent them from sticking together.
- If you are stacking the bars in the freezer, place a piece of parchment paper between each layer. This will also help to prevent them from sticking together.
When you are ready to frost the bars, simply thaw the frosting overnight in the refrigerator. Once the frosting is thawed, you can spread it over the bars and enjoy.
Here are some additional tips to freeze pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting:
- Do not freeze pumpkin bars with the frosting on. The frosting will not freeze well and will become icy and grainy when thawed.
- If you want to freeze the frosting separately, place it in a freezer-safe container or zip-top freezer bag and freeze for up to 1 month. To thaw, remove the frosting from the freezer and let it come to room temperature for about 30 minutes before frosting the pumpkin bars.
- When wrapping the freeze pumpkin bars, be sure to remove as much air as possible to prevent freezer burn. You can use a vacuum sealer or simply press the air out of the plastic wrap before sealing it.
- If you’re freezing the pumpkin bars for longer than 3 months, consider double wrapping them in plastic wrap and aluminum foil to provide extra protection.
Once the freeze pumpkin bars have thawed, you can frost them and enjoy!
How to store freeze pumpkin bars?
To store freeze pumpkin bars, follow these steps:
- Let the bars cool completely. This will help to prevent condensation from forming and making the bars soggy.
- Wrap the bars tightly in plastic wrap or foil. This will help to keep the bars moist and fresh.
- Store the bars at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
If you are storing the freeze pumpkin bars in the refrigerator, be sure to bring them to room temperature before serving so that they are soft and moist.
If you are storing the freeze pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting, you will need to store them in the refrigerator. The frosting will spoil if left at room temperature.
Here are some additional tips for storing freeze pumpkin bars:
- Store the bars in a single layer. This will help them to stay fresh and prevent them from sticking together.
- If you are stacking the bars, place a piece of parchment paper between each layer. This will also help to prevent them from sticking together.
- If you are storing the bars for more than a week, you can freeze them. To freeze the bars, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To thaw the freeze pumpkin bars, simply remove them from the freezer and let them thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Once thawed, you can frost the bars and enjoy.
How long does homemade pumpkin bars last in the freezer?
Homemade freeze pumpkin bars can last in the freezer for up to 3 months. To freeze pumpkin bars, let them cool completely after baking. Then, wrap each bar individually in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe container or bag. Be sure to squeeze out any excess air before sealing the container or bag.
Here are some tips for storing pumpkin bars in the freezer:
- Make sure the pumpkin bars are completely cool before freezing them. This will help prevent freezer burn.
- Wrap each bar individually in plastic wrap. This will help keep the bars moist and prevent them from sticking together.
- Place the wrapped bars in a freezer-safe container or bag. This will help protect them from freezer burn and other damage.
- Label the container or bag with the date so you can keep track of how long the bars have been in the freezer.
By follow these tips, you can enjoy pumpkin bars for few months.
How to thaw frozen pumpkin bars?
There are two ways to thaw freeze pumpkin bars: overnight in the refrigerator or at room temperature for a few hours.
To thaw pumpkin bars overnight in the refrigerator
Simply place them in a covered container or wrap them in plastic wrap. They should be completely thawed by morning.
To thaw pumpkin bars at room temperature
Place them on a plate or baking sheet. They should be thawed within 2-3 hours.
Microwave the pumpkin bars to thaw
If you are short on time, you can microwave the pumpkin bars to thaw them. To do this, place them on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on low power for 30-60 seconds, or until they are thawed.
No matter which method you choose, be careful not to over thaw the pumpkin bars, or they may become soggy.
Once the pumpkin bars are thawed, you can enjoy them as is or warm them up in the oven or microwave.
Difference between fresh and frozen pumpkin bars
|Fresh pumpkin bars
|Frozen pumpkin bars
|Softer and more moist
|Slightly more intense pumpkin flavor
|Less intense pumpkin flavor
Freeze Pumpkin bars are a delicious and nutritious snack or dessert. They are a good source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber, and they can offer a number of health benefits, including:
- Improved heart health: Pumpkins are a good source of potassium, which can help regulate blood pressure and lower the risk of heart disease.
- Reduced risk of cancer: Pumpkins contain beta-carotene, which is converted to vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant that can help protect cells from damage and reduce the risk of certain types of cancer, such as lung cancer and colon cancer.
- Improved digestive health: Pumpkins are a good source of fiber, which can help keep the digestive system healthy and regular. Fiber can also help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Boosted immune system: Pumpkins are a good source of vitamin C, which is essential for a healthy immune system. Vitamin C helps the body fight off infection and disease.
- Weight loss: Pumpkins are low in calories and high in fiber, making them a good choice for people who are trying to lose weight. Fiber can help you feel full and satisfied, which can help you eat less.
Pumpkin bars can also be used to make other desserts, such as pumpkin pie bars or pumpkin cheesecake bars.
If you are looking for a healthy and delicious snack or dessert, pumpkin bars are a great option. They are packed with nutrients and can offer a number of health benefits.
Q: Do Pumpkin Bars Need To Be Refrigerated?
Pumpkin bars do not need to be refrigerated if they do not have cream cheese frosting. If they do have cream cheese frosting, then they should be refrigerated within 2 hours of baking and stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Q: Can cream cheese frosting sit out overnight?
No, cream cheese frosting should not sit out overnight.
Q: How long do pumpkin bars last in the fridge?
Pumpkin bars without cream cheese frosting can last in the fridge for up to 3 days.
READOUT MORE FROM OUR BLOGS